The use of 70% isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and alcohol-based products on all transducers is restricted. On non-TEE transducers, the only parts that may be cleaned with isopropyl alcohol are the connector housing and the transducer housing and lens. On TEE transducers, the only parts that may be cleaned with isopropyl alcohol are the connector housing and the handle. Ensure that the solution is only 70% alcohol or less. Do not wipe any other part of a transducer with isopropyl alcohol (including cables or strain reliefs), as it can damage those parts of the transducer. This damage is not covered by the warranty or your service contract.
TEE transducers require unique methods for disinfection. See High-Level Disinfection of TEE Transducers or Disinfecting TEE Transducers with an AER.
Based on material compatibility testing, product use profile, and active ingredients, Philips has approved for use the following types of low-level disinfectants used as a spray or wipe for surface (skin contact) and transvaginal or transrectal probes, according to the compatibility restrictions in the tables:
- Sodium hypochlorite based (for example 10% household bleach solution with active sodium hypochlorite at approximately 0.6%)
- Quaternary ammonium (QUAT) based (for example, products that contain n-alkyl (x)benzyl ammonium chloride solution where (x) can be any organic functional group such as ethyl and methyl, and so on; concentration at use should be less than 0.5% total for all QUATs listed)
- Accelerated hydrogen peroxide based
- Activated hydrogen peroxide based
- Alcohol or alcohol plus QUAT based (product alcohol content cannot exceed 70%)
- You may also use products not specifically listed in the compatibility tables but with similar active ingredients, as indicated above, and marketed for medical use.
Because of the large number of available cleaning and disinfection products, it is impossible to have an all-inclusive list. If you are unsure of the suitability of a particular product, please contact your Philips representative for assistance.
For more information:
- In North America, call Philips at 800-722-9377.
- Outside North America, contact your local Philips representative.